Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Page 1 of 1

M8 Motor
Reply with quote   Download Post  
Post M8 Motor 

About a week ago I took my bike in to the dealers,there was some metalic grinding type noise coming from the cam chest/hydraulic lifter area.
Two mechanics had a listen and I was told I'm not going anywhere on the bike....
My bike is a late 2016 Street glide (My17) first of the M8 motors & 1 year out of warranty...So today I get a phone call to bring me up to date,the bearing(S) in the cam chest are buggered,the camshaft has been gouged by some foreign peice of metal along the shaft,the lifters are shot,the front cylinder is badly scored,the rocker box internals  fucked  and the cases are yet to be split,the fella's at Phils are expecting that this is the area where all the foreign bits of metal have come from,there is some more but I can't remember it all at the moment ,too much info at once....
So ,when the first of the 107" M8's where released in the tourers the moco also bought out a 114" kit and a number of these bikes that had fitted the 114" kit were blowing,the original oil pump in the 107 wasn't up to the job for the 114" kit,it was barely up to the job in the 107 (that has been my opinion all along).....Harley released a new oil pump that had to be fitted to all 107's getting the 114" kit for the MY17 model year, which solved the lack of oil problem...but they never done a quiet recall for all MY17 107's to have the original oil pump replaced,they left it up to the owners...cheap pricks!
I had been meaning to change the oil pump to the version 3 or 4 (whatever number we are up to now) oil pump,which is what all 2020 models have and a better pump,but I never done it....the guys in the workshop took photo's as they were stripping the motor and approached Harley about the problems with the motor and pointed out my bike was still running the inefficient original version 1 oil pump,that in Harley's sly way back in 2017 said the pump wasn't any good.....
So what they have done (Phil's Garage) is emailed all the photo's to Harley and after some discussion, Harley is going to cover all work and parts under warranty,but the bottom end still has to be looked at yet....some of the parts had to be put on back order so they won't arrive in Oz until late Feb next year....So the latest oil pump,cam plate will be fitted all bearings replaced,I fitted the torque cam which will be replaced,new screamin' eagle hydraulic lifters,the stock lifters are shit,adjustable pushrods,new pistons, barrels, rocker gear fitted and the cases still have to be split and whatever else they find in there...A full motor rebuild basically and under warranty....I don't want the motor to be just replaced,there could be a load of crap parts in it and do prefer the motor to be rebuilt top to bottom,at least I will know what is in there

Silence is Golden....Duct tape is Silver

pizz - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: M8 Motor 

Parts from the USA arrive late Feb..... are they putting the parts in a row boat and paddling the stuff to OZ?
Well it's good they decided to do it under warranty, although they could have said, tough.
Hopefully when you get it back, it will be bullet proof and have no more problems.

Make you think is it worth while buying a new Harley with these problems???    

bargara_1 avitar_titties
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand

2010 FATBOY, Vance & Hines 2 into 1 Big Radius, Screamin Eagle Super Tuner Pro, Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather, 2" Burleigh Roller Bars with a 10" Rise, Braided Cables, Combination Speedo & Tacho, Progressive RAP & with dreams of more to come

pedro - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Best of luck with it cuz

4 out of 3 people struggle with math....

Kiwi - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Bloody slack manufacturing!!!

It could kill people.

Best of luck with it Pizz man.

evolve_1395233592_650013
-~- member: 109 -~- HERE'S MY GALLERY

. road_king_banner
. . .
EX-OWNER OF: 1997 Road King Classic- True Duals, Nostalgia Windshield, Early ElectraGlide Western Bars, Custom Paint Job, 2012 Air in the Tyres

-KEN- - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Getting a full rebuild is a way better option I would think as well mate, now
that was a bit of luck for sure hey.

Bluey - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Hope it goes well Pizz , but seriously why would you buy one of these M8s

Ball bag - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Ball bag wrote: [View Post]

edzachary

Back to topPage bottom

The twin cam had many problems from the onset,people only post about what drama's they are having with the M8
You rarely hear from the people on M8's that are not having problems  

Pete,the parts on back order could be the newest version oil pump and revised rocker  gear, an example of how the Moco dealt with the primary vents is when the primary vents were sent out by the moco ,it wasn't a mass mail out to dealers worldwide,1 dealer or 2 dealers in Australia might get 10 vents each,then later another 2 or 3 dealers would get 10  or as needed and it was the same hit and miss to dealers world wide,so it could be the same with the late oil pumps etc....the oil transfer problem was only for the baggers  with a hydraulic clutch and not all suffered the problem,but there was a bloody lot of 2017 to 2019 model baggers had the vent fitted,the 2020 model baggers  were released with the vent factory fitted...

Thanks Kiwi,it will be all good I reckon....

Ken and Bluey,Yep with a fully rebuilt motor I will know what's in the motor....the revised rocker gear,the latest oil pump ,that actually works..cam plate,.the hydraulic lifters will be screamin' eagle,they look to be more heavy duty over stock etc,etc,etc...lol

I have always liked the M8 motor,the thing that lets it down is Harley is building them to a price,chopping and changing on suppliers for a cheaper price,I read the woes on some of the US forums and the Company is rebuilding and replacing old for new motors to what appears to be world wide...I hope they learn a lesson from it....

After talking to a couple of the mechanics at Phils Garage (I'll give them a plug) , I will get a far better motor rebuilt than a brand new (MY2020)
 mass produced lottery motor from the factory....we talked for quite a while working out what was going into it ,it should be good,can't wait to get my hands on it..lol

Silence is Golden....Duct tape is Silver

Last edited by pizz on Fri 29 Nov, 2019 06:02; edited 1 time in total 
pizz - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

[quote user="pizz" post="226341"]

After talking to a couple of the mechanics at Phils Garage (I'll give them a plug) , I will get a far better motor rebuilt than a brand new (MY2020)
 mass produced lottery motor from the factory....we talked for quite a while working out what was going into it ,it should be good,can't wait to get my hands on it..lol

Mint Slice, pizz

Back to topPage bottom

Permissions List