Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Page 1 of 1

2006 Dyna 6 Speed Noise
Reply with quote   Download Post  
Post 2006 Dyna 6 Speed Noise 

Gday All , Hope im in the correct section guys  
After riding Jap & european bikes thruout my time, My (newest ride ) being a beaut Blue 2006 dyna 6 speed 88cube I would have hoped to had a better intro to this Club with my 1st  Harley and ill get around to puttin up a pic of her but ive just come home from a ride and have alot of noise coming from the engine /gearbox but unsure of what it is though . this only started today
Wondering has anyone had a similar problem  .
Everything seems fine in all gears as long as i keep speed up so OK on freeway ,but if im in say an 80k zone i cant go up to 5th & 6th without this LOUD tapping / slapping noise & can feel it thru the bike but go back to 4th/3rd it all smooths out again ,& even a small amount happens in 4th at 60klms' .so not really lugging i dont think & as i stated wasnt there yesterday ?
Something sounds kinda loose aswell the engine doesnt sound as TIGHT as it did if that makes sense ?

All help,advice & ideas are more than welcome & will aid sleepless nite tonite ,   

cheers Old School

Old School - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: 2006 Dyna 6 Speed Noise 

Welcome Old School.
I'm no whizz with harley's but to me sounds like a loose primary chain, just guessing mate but a good place to start.
6th gear at 80 k's is some serious lugging for a harley and will do damage eventually, usually to the big end bearing.
Dont bother with 6th until ya over the 110 k mark at minimum.
Hope you hang around and enjoy the forum, cheers  

MotorHead - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

MotorHead wrote: [View Post]
Welcome Old School.
I'm no whizz with harley's but to me sounds like a loose primary chain, just guessing mate but a good place to start.
6th gear at 80 k's is some serious lugging for a harley and will do damage eventually, usually to the big end bearing.
Dont bother with 6th until ya over the 110 k mark at minimum.
Hope you hang around and enjoy the forum, cheers  

Hey thanks Motorhead ,
 after i sent this i looked around google & was thinking slack primary adjuster or the compensator springs had become weak ? can they play a part in this noise too ?

Old School - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

If your new to Harleys and are not mechanically minded might be best to take
your bike to someone who knows what they are doing, chasing noises and problems
without knowing what it is you are chasing is like running around in circles looking
for a corner. Sure check all the basic things that need checking but after that if you
are still uncertain best to go to a shop and seek advice from those who know more
about the problem you are trying to pinpoint.

The majority of Harley shops are very helpful, excluding some dealerships, and will
give you sound advice and help without first looking into your wallet.

Be very careful though about the backyard butcher's that pretend to be something they
are not, they usually can't shut up and enjoy drivelling shit about how fucking good they
are for the best part of their conversation they have with you, we had one of them
bullshit artist lying butchers here a few years ago who managed to destroy every engine
he put his hands on costing people on this forum tens of thousands of wasted dollars.

Bluey - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Permissions List