Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Page 1 of 1

Softail Rear Shocks
Reply with quote   Download Post  
Post Softail Rear Shocks 

As most of you know, the Mohawked one is a bit of a lightweight and has always had a shit quality ride on the Slim, due to not being heavy enough to get the rear shocks to work properly. This was really highlighted on the recent Monto run. We found the the shocks had actually seized. We sourced another set of stock shocks with the idea of getting them respring with lighter rate springs. After 3 weeks of or techs suspension guy looking, he couldn't find anything. Called Ikon, explained we want a set of shocks made to suit weight etc. They rang back a week later saying it's not something they would do. Thought they built custom shocks?? Obviously too hard basket or something....
Got given the number of a crowd in Sydney called Shock Treatment. Gave them a call. Very helpful guy by the name of Jake. Yep we can do that. They use a brand of shock called Bitubo. Made in Italy. They get them then build them to spec. Took about 10days all up. These are a quality product. Adjustable for preload, compression and rebound damping and also a limited amount of ride height adjustment. It has transformed the Slims rideability dramatically. She's no longer getting launched off the seat on our great QLD roads. 1500km for the Bello weekend and not a sore bum or back or rib to be felt.
They're not cheap at $1600. But ya get what you pay for. Great service and a great product.

petebob - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Softail Rear Shocks 

Nice work Pete , anything that makes long trips in the saddle more comfortable are well worth it I recon

Ball bag - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

+1.....
Good find mate...
Keep away from that air ride shit...

Robo - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

That's great Pete, no more watching Maree flying up in the air every time we hit a bump!

Methuselah - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Robo wrote: [View Post]
+1.....
Good find mate...

Looked quite seriously at the Legend Suspension air ride. Gets a really good rap from our tech. Great warranty and apparently a great ride when set up, but no way in hell could we justify $3 grand fitted. The big plus with it was the ability to slam the height right down when the short arsed rider was parking, etc.

Back to topPage bottom

Methuselah wrote: [View Post]
That's great Pete, no more watching Maree flying up in the air every time we hit a bump!

Yep. That Monto ride was the straw that broke the riders ribs (camels back)

Back to topPage bottom

Im 85-90kgs and my Slims biggest problem for me is the seat, Im good for about 2hrs in the saddle then my butt just gets sore and uncomfortable, but my issue is actually the seat, whereas my CVO Convertibles seat is so comfortable that I can ride from one tank full to another without any problems.

NO FREE RIDES

Harley Forum Australia, HDOZ.ORG.AU

http://harleynswriders.myfreeforum.org/index.php

RED - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

petebob wrote: [View Post]
Robo wrote: [View Post]
+1.....
Good find mate...

Looked quite seriously at the Legend Suspension air ride. Gets a really good rap from our tech. Great warranty and apparently a great ride when set up, but no way in hell could we justify $3 grand fitted. The big plus with it was the ability to slam the height right down when the short arsed rider was parking, etc.

I found the Shotguns are eay to fit and good for solo runs...
When you get use to the set up of them...
Just could not find a happy medium for 2 up...
But your right on one thing...Dump them and they sit fucking cool as, and easy to park...
Down side of air rides is reliability...
If they fail out on track...
Your riding rigid all the way home...

Back to topPage bottom

RED wrote: [View Post]
Im 85-90kgs and my Slims biggest problem for me is the seat, Im good for about 2hrs in the saddle then my butt just gets sore and uncomfortable, but my issue is actually the seat, whereas my CVO Convertibles seat is so comfortable that I can ride from one tank full to another without any problems.
  I Get that Red the Bello run had my Arse all sore had to keep moving around . the seat is shit on the softy , am trying to find some thing a bit more Comfy if any one know what other seats they have tried and settled on let me know .

FANG - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

FANG wrote: [View Post]
  I Get that Red the Bello run had my Arse all sore had to keep moving around . the seat is shit on the softy , am trying to find some thing a bit more Comfy if any one know what other seats they have tried and settled on let me know .

Mate put a Bushranger on his Slim and loves it...
I got the rear portion of one for the wife and she swears by it also..
Thinking on getting the front half very soon....
Dear fuckers though.

Back to topPage bottom

I have been looking around for a better seat other than the stock Street glide seat...I get a sore arse around the 100k point and after 100k it starts to make my stuffed lower back start whinging...
Danny Gray does an Airhawk seat for my Sgs,it's not cheap,but might be worth the money...
I'm looking at the Airhawk longhaul 2-up seat,I've been talking to Yanks on forums who run this seat,they reckon it's the bee's knee's.....it lowers me about 3/4",so I will be reasonably flat footed stationary and roughly sit me back an inch ...
Gray makes the Airhawk seat for softails as well
Link

Silence is Golden....Duct tape is Silver

pizz - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Oddly enough she's never had an issue with the seat itself! She's only 55kg soaking wet, so maybe there's enough cushioning in the seat for her??

Back to topPage bottom

Heya Fang.  I run a Mustang on my Heriglide and as Ubs will tell you, when I get going, its basically set and forget.  Might move my feet around occasionally but other than that, its like sitting in an arm chair.

EZI63 - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

EZI63 wrote: [View Post]

Heya Fang.  I run a Mustang on my Heriglide and as Ubs will tell you, when I get going, its basically set and forget.  Might move my feet around occasionally but other than that, its like sitting in an arm chair.
yep got the mustang on both my bikes very comfy seat

Ball bag - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Thanks Gentle men I will have a look at these seats and see what is . and I use Gentle men very loosely  

FANG - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Permissions List