Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Page 1 of 1

Remember The Days?
Reply with quote   Download Post  
Post Remember The Days? 

. . . when there were only 12 clubs in the Rugby League national 1st Grade competition.

. . . when it was called the NSWRL, not the NRL.

. . . when they didn't wear an NSWRL logo on their right chest

. . . they had no sponsor advertising on jerseys.

. . . their jerseys had long sleeves and collars. Even black leather footy boots.

. . . and they played with a brown leather ball.

. . . they had different names to what they have now. (eg:  'Sydney Roosters' used to be 'Eastern Suburbs Roosters')

. . . Some clubs even had different colours.

. . . and the clubs had different logos (enlarge the pic to full size to see all the old logos)

Ahhhh . . . remember the 1960's when things were simple  

I put together a chart of all 12 original 1960's clubs in their original colours, logos, and names:

1960s_rugby_league_clubs_1531233980_499482

evolve_1395233592_650013
-~- member: 109 -~- HERE'S MY GALLERY

. road_king_banner
. . .
EX-OWNER OF: 1997 Road King Classic- True Duals, Nostalgia Windshield, Early ElectraGlide Western Bars, Custom Paint Job, 2012 Air in the Tyres

Last edited by -KEN- on Wed 11 Jul, 2018 00:46; edited 1 time in total 
-KEN- - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Remember The Days? 

Simple is right, when 1st division  players worked on garbage trucks for a living.

I always thought the Roosters  guernsey  was the best looking, I played for the Bondi Sharks, first year I played I was in "J" grade.

So many years ago.

NO FREE RIDES

Harley Forum Australia, HDOZ.ORG.AU

http://harleynswriders.myfreeforum.org/index.php

RED - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

and worked for a living instead of being Spoilt over paid Brats, who think they are above the Law

STEAMER - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

I loved watching Newtown play and could never work out why they dropped out of the comp.  They had a pretty competitive team in the final years.

EZI63 - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Like all Sports....
Money and the almighty Sponsorship ruined it all...
Golf is a classic example were top Rated players like Tiger got more money to appear in the comp then the winner got for winning.
Rugby League is now a game of Skill and not stemina and toughness...
Hand up,,,Hello. I need a blow for ten minutes....Never been a fan of the interchange. And never will.

Robo - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

EZI63 wrote: [View Post]
I loved watching Newtown play and could never work out why they dropped out of the comp.  They had a pretty competitive team in the final years.

My Grandparents back fence was the wall of Henson Park, Newtown's home ground.
My GrandPa used to put a ladder up against it for me so I could watch the games.  

When I was up there I could see there were also about 40 - 50 other neighbours all the way around the wall doing the same thing  

They were put out of the 1st Grade because of lack of dollars. Have a read:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newto...the_Premiership

On a side note, my grandparents house at 34 Horton St Marrickville was the Sydney 'Hells Angels' very first clubhouse when they first formed. My Uncle Les ('Stretch') was one of the founding 6 and he lived there.
My uncle wouldn't let my cousin Danny join his club so he started his own club.
He called them 'Cossacks MC'.  
It was also the first 'Cossacks MC' clubhouse at the same time as the Hells Angels. My grandmother said he could use it too for his club. Both clubs got along very well!

Once my uncles club was granted an 'official' charter from the H.A in the 70's they moved into their own clubhouse.

No wonder I ended up in the club scene myself. Can you imagine my childhood, visiting my Grandparents, with 2 bike clubs hanging out and drag racing up and down the street day and night  
Their house was always full of Bikers. I loved it  

evolve_1395233592_650013

. road_king_banner
. . .
EX-OWNER OF: 1997 Road King Classic- True Duals, Nostalgia Windshield, Early ElectraGlide Western Bars, Custom Paint Job, 2012 Air in the Tyres

Back to topPage bottom

It's much better now...   at least now you can support the MELBOURNE STORM..  a WINNING team..    
   ( ducking for cover )  

WozzA - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

WozzA wrote: [View Post]
It's much better now...   at least now you can support the MELBOURNE STORM..  a WINNING team..    
   ( ducking for cover )  

ONYA WOZ  

evolve_1395233592_650013

. road_king_banner
. . .

Back to topPage bottom

hey were put out of the 1st Grade because of lack of dollars. Have a read:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newto...the_Premiership

Thanks mate, good read.

EZI63 - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

-KEN- wrote: [View Post]
EZI63 wrote: [View Post]

My Grandparents back fence was the wall of Henson Park, Newtown's home ground.
My GrandPa used to put a ladder up against it for me so I could watch the games.  

When I was up there I could see there were also about 40 - 50 other neighbours all the way around the wall doing the same thing  

They were put out of the 1st Grade because of lack of dollars. Have a read:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newto...the_Premiership

On a side note, my grandparents house at 34 Horton St Marrickville was the Sydney 'Hells Angels' very first clubhouse when they first formed. My Uncle Les ('Stretch') was one of the founding 6 and he lived there.
My uncle wouldn't let my cousin Danny join his club so he started his own club.
He called them 'Cossacks MC'.  
It was also the first 'Cossacks MC' clubhouse at the same time as the Hells Angels. My grandmother said he could use it too for his club. Both clubs got along very well!

Once my uncles club was granted an 'official' charter from the H.A in the 70's they moved into their own clubhouse.

No wonder I ended up in the club scene myself. Can you imagine my childhood, visiting my Grandparents, with 2 bike clubs hanging out and drag racing up and down the street day and night  
Their house was always full of Bikers. I loved it  

Thats some special history right there Ken .. keep that one going through the generations  

And yes i do remember the days of the NSWRL  ... it wasnt called NRL because it wasnt NRL, it was NSWRL, and wasnt a National comp.
Meaning it was NSW Rugby League. In QLD, the main NSW game was televised every week, QLD games were not televised in NSW. Believe it or not we also had QLDRL, also not a National comp.
Back in those days poker machines were legal in NSW pubs n clubs but not legal in QLD.
So, NSW sporting clubs had the big dollars and could offer QLD athletes such as footy players a healthy wage to play on their team, QLD clubs did not have the funds to do this. By memory i think the local QLD regional footy club payed $20 a game to 1st graders.
We did have a very interesting and competitive league based in Brisbane (QLDRL), where the states best players would end up, hoping to get the big $$$$ offer from Sydney.
1908 -1980 was NSW v QLD, which was really, in later years just QLD's best players v QLD's 2nd best players ... 2nd best came off 2nd best  

But anyway, thats just my imagination, i'm sure the facts are easy to find, my point is : NRL is different to the old Sydney League (NSWRL)

MotorHead - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Spot on MH....
Seems so long ago....
I remember going to Brown Park in Rockhampton in the late 70s to watch Brisbane playing the then called, Central Queensland Capras.
The Brisbane side back then had a few of the now come Legends playing for them...
Lewis, Meniga, Morris, Close to name a few. They absolutely smashed the Capras.

Robo - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Permissions List