Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Page 1 of 1

HD Financials
Reply with quote   Download Post  
Post HD Financials 

So here is the rumor and not sure if it has reached AU as of yet.

A few days before the MoCo’s rosy quarterly earning statement dropped, a starkly different report predicting Harley-Davidson’s insolvency was released by an independent site.

The opinion comes from Idea Mechanic, and while the tiny site is less than two months old, its PDF regarding HD’s future was spot on in several cases. Yes, the target demographic is aging. Yes, interest rates are eventually going to rise, diminishing Harley’s ability to buy cheap money and fund stock buy-backs. And yes, the elevated rates will raise the costs of any new projects or expansion.

Furthermore, in 2014 Warren Buffett will take his money and go home after earning a healthy 15% per year for his $300 million investment since 2009. And no, there probably won’t be a federal bailout if things go really wrong. But I’d challenge the mysterious Idea Mechanic (there is no ‘about’ section on the blog) with regard to their one crucial assumption: Harley Davidson is not an enormous frozen monolith staring down a tidal wave. It is a dynamic entity filled with creative people who adjust.

If things are as bad as the Idea Mechanic believes, then certainly, Harley-Davidson has noticed.

Other portions of the assessment are simply laughable: “The pope doesn’t approve.” “Harley Davidson will facing increasing regulatory pressure.” (Certainly on emissions, but this guy is talking about safety). First off, nobody buys a Harley because they have someone else’s approval (besides your significant other, perhaps). You buy a Harley because it’s badass, because they’re loud, precisely because many people don’t approve. And is one man’s opinion in Italy really going to change your mind?

Additionally, the comparison between the cigarette and motorcycle industries is laughable. Motorcycles will never face the safety-oriented regulatory pressure that cigarettes have faced because there is no health debate. Motorcycle OEM’s have never pretended that there is no danger in riding (as cigarette manufacturers did with smoking). Everyone who rides knows there is risk involved—and we accept it.

The bottom line is that yes, things might get gloomy for Harley. But to assume that Harley is done is absurd and I’d happily bet against the Idea Mechanic. How about you?

TheBoss - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: HD Financials 

Personally, I see more Harley riders out now than I did 20 years ago!  I don't get it.

Back to topPage bottom

[quote user="TheBoss" post="132958"]Personally, I see more Harley riders out now than I did 20 years ago!  I don't get it.[/quote

Same here Boss

fuck-em-all - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Yeah .. but, Harley's that are seen on the road now .. how many are new buys over second-hand .. & if My Bike's story is like many that are now seen on the road .. of not getting ridden for 2 years before I purchased her .. personally I don't think the percentage would be high enough world wide to cause them to go under ..
STILL, either way .. if Harley goes under .. that means GREED was the reason.  

Rxes - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Just curious Boss, what are the numbers like in the US with Harley riders in comparison to Jap bikes.
A few months back I visited Hawaii and certainly noticed lot more Harley riders in comparison to Jap riders.
Sure there were plenty of Jappas, but Harley were very prominent, more so than what I find in Australia.

We do have a lot more Harley Riders here now than say 25/ 30 years ago.

I do wonder though, of the sales of Harleys in Australia, now that many Jappas are building pretend Harleys and quite a lot of people tend to settle for the cheaper lookalike.

Like a lot of us dedicated Harley lovers even though we are paying more, we don't want a pretend Harley. We want the real thing.
It is only the select few like us, will spend the extra $$$ to get a Real Bike.

My feelings after talking to other riders, that's Jap riders, if Harleys were of comparable prices, they would be selling a lot more here. Some said they would like a Harley but can't justify spending many more $$$$ for it.

What are the prices like in The States of Harley's compared to Jap bikes? Is there a huge difference?      

bargara_1 avitar_titties
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand

2010 FATBOY, Vance & Hines 2 into 1 Big Radius, Screamin Eagle Super Tuner Pro, Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather, 2" Burleigh Roller Bars with a 10" Rise, Braided Cables, Combination Speedo & Tacho, Progressive RAP & with dreams of more to come

pedro - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

There are a lot of everything out here.  Can't really give you an estimate but I would guess 50/50 since rice burners are so cheap!  Now as far as pricing, YAMAHA has a fairly decent touring bike for a good price.  I know of a couple (married) that they both own a Yamaha.  When I asked him why did they go that route... He said that he bought both touring Yamaha bikes for what I paid for my Harley.

I've seen several Victory motorcycles and they are trying to compete with Harley.  To me, they still look as if they belong to a Galaxy way far from Earth.

Back to topPage bottom

I think owning a Harley is more about a lifestyle more so than just riding
a bike .

One thing I have noticed though  those victory riders , the bike ain't worth
giving it a capital " V " , are a bunch of queer Gillards , fairdinkim I haven't
meet one who hasn't put shit on Harley's and they all seem to be trying
to justify why they ride a victory .

Bluey - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

The only victory rider I ever met said the same thing mate......I'd just left Ronnies joint and was on the way home but had a chat and abit of a secret laugh knowing I rip his reliable jukebox a new arsehole when it came to longevity and ponies....apart from the big V bragging, him and his missus seemed alright

EDIT: I just stood, mouth agape, staring at the Duc Diavel tho

http://waharleyriders.myfreeforum.org/index.php http://harleynswriders.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Last edited by Lynchy on Mon 18 Nov, 2013 16:38; edited 1 time in total 
Lynchy - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

well I read something interesting on a BMW list...

seems that the head of the motorcycle division was torn a new arsehole in front of a meeting of all the executives at the annual strategic meeting in Germany.

Why?

Because last year Harley Davidson outsold BMW in Germany!!!
This really miffed the group execs because they consider the Harley "an inferior product"...

Apparently all the heads of the motorcycle division of BMW have been told in no uncertain terms it must never happen again!!!

LOL I wish I could have seen it

Merlin - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Merlin wrote:  
well I read something interesting on a BMW list...

seems that the head of the motorcycle division was torn a new arsehole in front of a meeting of all the executives at the annual strategic meeting in Germany.

Why?

Because last year Harley Davidson outsold BMW in Germany!!!
This really miffed the group execs because they consider the Harley "an inferior product"...

Apparently all the heads of the motorcycle division of BMW have been told in no uncertain terms it must never happen again!!!

LOL I wish I could have seen it

Be a laugh if they found out that half the BMW workers rode Harleys.......       

bargara_1 avitar_titties
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand

2010 FATBOY, Vance & Hines 2 into 1 Big Radius, Screamin Eagle Super Tuner Pro, Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather, 2" Burleigh Roller Bars with a 10" Rise, Braided Cables, Combination Speedo & Tacho, Progressive RAP & with dreams of more to come

pedro - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Permissions List