Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Page 1 of 1

House Painting, Paints Aren't All Equal
Reply with quote   Download Post  
Post House Painting, Paints Aren't All Equal 

Have some time off over the Xmas and NY period and my house that Im building will be available for me to paint it.

In the old days painting plaster walls you had to follow a long time approved method.

That was to use a Sealer, then a Primer, then two coats of Paint.

Then they bought out a 2 in 1, being the Sealer and Primer combined.

Have been in the paint section buying paint for the old house and have seen a 3 in 1 and the other day saw a 4 in 1.

So what do the professionals on here use.

"That is the Question".

NO FREE RIDES

Harley Forum Australia, HDOZ.ORG.AU

http://harleynswriders.myfreeforum.org/index.php

RED - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: House Painting, Paints Aren't All Equal 

A  painter .not much help but true

Back to topPage bottom

My dad did a fair bit of painting and I remember well the preparation was the most painful and took the longest.

Furniture piled up in the middle of the rooms, taping up windows, booting out the pets and loading up the fridge with supplies.

Three of us would take the best part of a week to get the job done, these days they use spray guns and can get it done in two.

A mate of mine got his house painted last week by a yugoslav in the Isa.....two days for $4,500...

Mind you he did it with temps around mid 40's and used the best paint (Dulux)...the paint job was excellent.

You can certainly save yourself a bucket doing it yourself Red...good luck in this heat mate

Back to topPage bottom

dust off any plaster dust, 1 coat wallboard sealer, 2 coats of whatever your finishing your walls with, ie; dulux professional/ 101 or Solver velvet sheen/ maxi wash, that's how we finish all the new houses
prefer the Solver products myself, been using them for more than 10 years with no problems
a 2 in 1, sealer undercoat is ok but would still finish with 2 top coats for a good finish

sidenote; don't leave bare gyprock any longer than 6 months or it will discolour to a yellowish tinge, once this happens if painted with an acrylic paint the yellow will bleed back through the paint then yer up shit creek and will have to use an oil based  sealer/undercoat to hold back the stain

Last edited by fuck-em-all on Mon 03 Dec, 2012 15:27; edited 1 time in total 
fuck-em-all - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Red it's a bit like oils mate. The name brands are all pretty good. I use Dulux simply because people like to see the name and it is a good product, used it for thirty years. However there is nothing wrong with Taubmans or Solver. As fuck em said, if it is new gyprock you need to seal it as quick as possible or the tannins, which is the yellowing will cause you grief.

Mate offer a painter over there cash to get the paint for you at his prices. You will save a shit load.

Mate two systems below. I would use the Dulux System.

Dulux - Ceilings - Berger Gold Label Sealer Undercoat, 1 or 2 coats Dulux Tintable Ceiling flat, tint the ceiling flat to Lexicon 1/4. Walls - Berger Gold label sealer first because it's the old Dulux sealer which is better, follow with two coats of Dulux Professional Interior lowsheen. This is the old Wash and Wear and you will save around $30 a fifteen litre.

Taubmans - Ceilings - Tradex Ultraprep Sealer followed by 1 or 2 coats Tradex Ceiling Flat. Walls - Tradex Ultraprep sealer, followed by two coats of Easy Coat lowsheen.

This is what I did on my place, no sealer because the new products are acrylic - Ceilings - Two coats of Dulux Tintable Ceiling Flat tinted to Lexicon 1/4. Semi Gloss in the same colour to the bathroom ceilings. Walls - two coats of Dulux Professional Lowsheen to walls to the wifes colour choice. Went and had a beer.

Gidgee - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Just had the entire outside of my house painted. The chap used solver paint and did a bloody great job He also applied sealer to my backyard patio and painted 2 bedrooms, lounge and kitchen.  All up $5000.00. Top job and wouldnt attempt it myself. Apart from not having time I wouldnt have got the finish this chap and his son produced.  As he said...only use well known named products and preparation is important.
cheers

Back to topPage bottom

fuck-em-all wrote:  
dust off any plaster dust, 1 coat wallboard sealer, 2 coats of whatever your finishing your walls with, ie; dulux professional/ 101 or Solver velvet sheen/ maxi wash, that's how we finish all the new houses
prefer the Solver products myself, been using them for more than 10 years with no problems
a 2 in 1, sealer undercoat is ok but would still finish with 2 top coats for a good finish

sidenote; don't leave bare gyprock any longer than 6 months or it will discolour to a yellowish tinge, once this happens if painted with an acrylic paint the yellow will bleed back through the paint then yer up shit creek and will have to use an oil based  sealer/undercoat to hold back the stain

+1 on the Solver. I have seen first hand on an external application after five years in Mount Isa sun with west facing wall, the Solver portion looked as good as it did the day it went on, the Bristol product resembled something not dissimilar to puss.

Caspa - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

The new homes currently being built in the display villages around Ballarat are a disgrace.

For the interiors they use 2 coats of topcoat. And that's all.
No primer.

Just slack because there are hundreds of houses currently being built and they are painting them as fast as they can. There are about a thousand more houses about to be built, so who knows what quality will go into them  

evolve_1395233592_650013
-~- member: 109 -~- HERE'S MY GALLERY

. road_king_banner
. . .
EX-OWNER OF: 1997 Road King Classic- True Duals, Nostalgia Windshield, Early ElectraGlide Western Bars, Custom Paint Job, 2012 Air in the Tyres

-KEN- - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Thanks for the replies guys.

The house is double brick which is the common here in W.A.

So only gyprock is on the ceiling, which is painted by the builder.

Im only doing walls, which is plastered.

I only use top quality paints Solver for external and Dulux for interior.

I usually use a SEALER then a PRIMER then 2 coats of PAINT.

Because the top layer of plaster is a vivid white and so is the sealer and then primer, I use the top coat paint colour to tint the sealer and also the primer.

Seeing as the plaster is white I usually use a 25% of colour for the sealer and a 50% of colour for the primer, then 100% colour for the top coats.

That way I dont miss any areas.

But this time Im going with the 2 in 1 sealer/primer, so will use 50% of colour, then two top coats of paint as usual.

Its going to be damn hot at this time of the year, but will only be working half days so will be finished before the hottest part of the day.

NO FREE RIDES

Back to topPage bottom

I perfer water based paints but a lot of people are saying I should use a oil based sealer/ primer, I cannot find out any firm reason to do so

Im open to whatever people are saying but Im a born skeptic.

NO FREE RIDES

Back to topPage bottom

RED wrote:  
I perfer water based paints but a lot of people are saying I should use a oil based sealer/ primer, I cannot find out any firm reason to do so

Im open to whatever people are saying but Im a born skeptic.

acrylic sealer/undercoat on new plaster is the go, oil based is overkill and not needed

fuck-em-all - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Mate, Im in the middle of a full blown renovation and have been painting my fucking arse off. I started with Dulux wash and wear and its shit, needs at least 3 coats. I am using British Paints 1 coat but putting 2 on. Comes out beautiful. Window architrave I have used the 4 in 1 and then 2 top coats of Brisih Paints (I think) H2o gloss. Exceelent results.

PS, painting is a Gillard of a job and if I never have a brush or roller in my hand ever again I will be a happy boy!

PPS, never again will I not keep a tenant under the fucking microscope. Amazing what scum people can be and what they can fuck up in such a short period of time.

Hound_Dog - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Hound_Dog wrote:  
Mate, Im in the middle of a full blown renovation and have been painting my fucking arse off. I started with Dulux wash and wear and its shit, needs at least 3 coats. I am using British Paints 1 coat but putting 2 on. Comes out beautiful. Window architrave I have used the 4 in 1 and then 2 top coats of Brisih Paints (I think) H2o gloss. Exceelent results.

PS, painting is a Gillard of a job and if I never have a brush or roller in my hand ever again I will be a happy boy!

PPS, never again will I not keep a tenant under the fucking microscope. Amazing what scum people can be and what they can fuck up in such a short period of time.

Yes I just finished the reno on the house Im in, painting gives me the shits too.

Reason I like to do it once and do it right.

NO FREE RIDES

Back to topPage bottom

Permissions List