Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Page 1 of 1

Road Signs Are Blinding ..
Reply with quote   Download Post  
Post Road Signs Are Blinding .. 

Went for a ride over to Toowoomba tonight .. noticed quite a few new large signs .. for the idiots, when you can or can't overtake, which side of the road to drive on etc ..
There wasn't much traffic {surprisingly} so I used high beam most of the way .. rare thing these days.
With the big new white background & even the yellow background signs, the reflection is quite blinding with high beam, even low beam is rather distracting .. & with all the extra signs for the idiots .. making the shoulder & table drains that much darker, even with the Daymaker & my light bar.
{walking into a dark room from a well lit room effect}
When you have dickheads that don't know how to dip their lights on coming to the right & reflective signs to the left .. it is near bloody impossible to see pot holes or pushed up lumps, there alone wildlife that is lurking in the tabledrians .. & on the wet nights, disco lights have nothing on a wet nights ride ..
Fuck .. I keep my guardian angel on her toes ..

Years ago .. signs had a black background with white writing [later became reflective writing] .. easy to read during day light & at night, even with high beam.
Not so many years ago .. the background was changed to green with the reflective white writing .. still easy to read during day & night, even with high beam.
The advisory signs have always being orange background with black writing .. other sign background colours brown & blue both with white writing .. easy to see.

During daylight .. I found the black background more noticeable than the white background signs of today .. & more readable at night ..

You CAN'T read a lightbulb's watts while it is on ..

What idiot decided that a sign is more noticeable & readable when the background is reflective white with black writing ??
Even the advisory signs have a reflective background now.

Obviously the idiot has never driven at night in the country.

rant over.

Rxes - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Road Signs Are Blinding .. 

Have to agree Rxes, and there's so many of the bloody things. My ute has LED headlights as standard plus I have 9" HID driving lights, you simply cannot be on high beam for well over 200-300mtrs approaching the smaller signs and longer for the big suckers because of the glare back. even on low beam with LED headlights they are shockers. I agree, bring back the black background with white writing.

Methuselah - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Maybe a time for  a petition to have them changed.
Yes we prob do need the signs telling overseas drivers that we drive on left side. They have these signs around most of Australia. And since most only drive during the day thats prob why the white back gound. But yeh prob dont need reflective. I would be asking the question on safety grounds.

STEAMER - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Agreeance Mr Rxes man...
All of our work cars have LEDs and I have the ARB LEDs...You cant have them on looking at them signs.

Robo - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Yep Rx, those big white reflective signs are a nightmare out here on country roads. Can't see the road properly when headlights hit them. Absolutely stupid idea!

Yeah, I seen some of those signs down on the great Ocean Road that say "Drive on the Left in Australia".
I saw them near the 12 Apostles. Here's a look at them on Google Maps:

https://goo.gl/maps/DMcp3yKsQaq

drive_on_left

evolve_1395233592_650013
-~- member: 109 -~- HERE'S MY GALLERY

. road_king_banner
. . .
EX-OWNER OF: 1997 Road King Classic- True Duals, Nostalgia Windshield, Early ElectraGlide Western Bars, Custom Paint Job, 2012 Air in the Tyres

Last edited by -KEN- on Fri 24 Nov, 2017 20:02; edited 2 times in total 
-KEN- - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Yep yes and definitely ... a black or dull background with reflective wording would work very well imo.

MotorHead - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

I'm all for learning on the job .. but that isn't the way to go to for tourist & 497 workers with driving here in Australia ..

Also to prevent the need of the idiot signs ..

If you want to drive in Australia when ya visit .. learn the road rules & signs .. sit for a test .. .. fuck this bullshit of allowing them to drive here if they have a licence in their home country.

[Bit of topic ..]
Because of the amount of asian & african imports at the meat works & distribute centre in Warwick over the last few years .. the amount of accidents because they don't stop at Stop signs or Red lights has gone from 1 every few months to nearly 1 a day ..
They {imports} are just given an on the spot minimal fine; which isn't paid because they just leave the area or country .. road offences are not linked to their passports.
The Aussie that got cleaned up .. it is up to them to have their damage paid by their own insurance {if they have full cover} .. which sometimes becomes a bigger headache because the cops didn't make a report of it .. & without a police report, the insurance companies try to get out of honoring the policy ..

I know this because I had a Korean lady come round a bend totally on my side of the road .. wrote of the EF Fairmont .. full covered comprehensive insured for $12,000 ..
"No proof of accident" was their response because I couldn't provide a police accident report .. even went back to the Beaudesert police station where the cop that attended the scene, to ask for a report, he said that he couldn't write one up now [then] because they are to be done at the time .. he didn't write up the report because "the driver was a foreigner & she didn't have an Australian licence & that creates a whole lot more paperwork that is just too time consuming"  
"Your incompetence & laziness has cost me $12,000"
To which he just shrugged his shoulders & walked off .. "Fuck you" was my next comment, to which the desk sergeant  warned "That's enough of that"    

Back to topPage bottom

When I was in the USA riding, I did Not need to sit for any test, as long as I had a Full licence in Australia.  Yes there are some countries that you need International licence when driving in the USA.    I still would not have accepted the Cop Not doing a Police report. I would have taken that a lot higher.

Back to topPage bottom

I tried Steamer ..
By the time I received a response from the ombudsman, as well as  a reply to the filed complaint to Commissioner of Police ..
I had ran out of time .. the claim time frame process had expired .. 90 days from date of accident [fucken small print] .. also the fact that there wasn't an injury claim, the two lawyers I seen didn't want to take the police on with out a shit load of money up front [they both wanted more than the car was insured for up front, & neither could guarantee a win in my favor .. yet did agree that the cop should've made a report & I should've been paid out .. lot of help that was .. 1 even sent me a bill for $175 for 6 minutes of his time   ..
The commissioner said that the cop didn't follow procedure .. but can't file a report now, as to file a report after date is not accepted .. but the incident will be investigated & the officer will be reminded of the correct procedure for future incidents.
The ombudsman said the same thing, with the suggestion of hiring a lawyer.  

Back to topPage bottom

Not good news Rx, sorry to hear.

Back to topPage bottom

Another lesson learnt mate ..

Take photos of EVERYTHING at an accident that you are involved in & request a copy of the police report that day in writing ..

Except when it is your fault .. in that case, deny EVERYTHING .. make the accuser prove it    

Back to topPage bottom

Sue the fuckers for the 12K Rxes. Take out a small claims court summons for the money and see what happens. You may find they want to settle because it's cost more for them to fight it.

Methuselah - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Never really noticed the problems with the new signs, maybe not
doing enough night riding these days, living where I do the only
place where their are heaps of them is on the Kings Hwy to Canberra
and that is a day ride road mainly, to many fucking wombats and
roos to dodge on that road. I have noticed a heap of new and far bigger
signs when ya get up around Nowra as well.

Last edited by Bluey on Tue 28 Nov, 2017 08:59; edited 1 time in total 
Bluey - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Riding the snow road at night ya need your sunnys on cause the signs are so bright.

Cheers

RObw - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Just did a 4x4 trip up to  Seisia on the Cape Development rd, to Cape York tip.
Signs everyfuckingwhere!
A lot of discussions blamed it on LED spotties n headlights.
Reckon their line - whitest white light has something tp do with it [glare] ...
But some fucker took em to a lovely lunch to get those signs sold!!
Fuckin A grade hazard out bush!!

Robbery65 - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Permissions List