Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Front Fork Issue?

Front Fork Issue?
Article
Reply with quote    Download Post  
Post Front Fork Issue? 

Hi all
Since I purchased my 2014 Breakout she's been a dream to ride, I've only just started putting the K's on her and did a ride down to Coffs and around that area over a few days. The last two rides I've done however, something has changed. The steering feels very heavy and I'm struggling to push her into the bends, she just wants to pop back up straight. I've never had this issue before, it feels like something to do with the front forks as it is affecting the steering but I'm just not sure.
Hopefully I got some warranty with the bike so I can take it back into HD tomorrow.
Anyone have any ideas about what it could be??
Thanks in advance.
Cheers Jilli

JILLI96 - View user's profile Send private message  
JILLI96 [ Sun 10 Nov, 2019 20:09 ]

Front Fork Issue?
Comments
Post Re: Front Fork Issue? 

Hi Jilli,
  Maybe the forks have been over filled with oil,  just you had taking it easy compared to latesr ride and not noticed. Or with the heat from weather it overheated oil ( unusual).
  I fitted the Progresive mono tube drop in cartridges in my 2011 fxst, and it was like chalk & cheese, the ride is so much better / easier ride now.

Last edited by STEAMER on Mon 11 Nov, 2019 07:30; edited 1 time in total 
STEAMER - View user's profile Send private message  
STEAMER [ Mon 11 Nov, 2019 06:34 ]

Could be headstem bearings. When you take it in, they will check to see the fallaway and if there is any slop in the headstem.

EZI63 - View user's profile Send private message  
EZI63 [ Mon 11 Nov, 2019 06:53 ]

EZI63 wrote: [View Post]
Could be headstem bearings. When you take it in, they will check to see the fallaway and if there is any slop in the headstem.

+1

pizz - View user's profile Send private message  
pizz [ Mon 11 Nov, 2019 08:29 ]

Thank you

JILLI96 [ Mon 11 Nov, 2019 19:57 ]

Check the lower triple tree PINCH BOLTS are not broken...   It's a VERY common fault on the early twin cam softails..  
I've found several broken over the years due to crap original bolts..
If you find one or both broken or for that matter just replace them both with grade 8 High tensile while you have them out..

WozzA - View user's profile Send private message  
WozzA [ Thu 14 Nov, 2019 16:38 ]

Probably ready for a full front end service anyway Jilli, may as well get
it done before summer and maybe a lighter weight oil for a more relaxed
ride, ya not setting it for hard riding.

Bluey - View user's profile Send private message  
Bluey [ Tue 19 Nov, 2019 19:21 ]

Bluey wrote: [View Post]

This sounds like a great idea. I haven't had a chance to get the bike back to Harley so I thought Id go for a quick spin this morning before I go into Harley tomorrow and oh my God! It was so bad, it was pulling to both sides, so hard to keep upright, it was scary, I got about 1 km up the road and turned around and came home, I limped home in 2nd gear with the whole front end wobbling. I'll have to get it trailered to Harley as it is not rideable like this

Im pretty sure something has gone terribly wrong in either the forks or the front wheel.

JILLI96 [ Sun 24 Nov, 2019 21:04 ]

JILLI96 wrote: [View Post]

This sounds like a great idea. I haven't had a chance to get the bike back to Harley so I thought Id go for a quick spin this morning before I go into Harley tomorrow and oh my God! It was so bad, it was pulling to both sides, so hard to keep upright, it was scary, I got about 1 km up the road and turned around and came home, I limped home in 2nd gear with the whole front end wobbling. I'll have to get it trailered to Harley as it is not rideable like this

Im pretty sure something has gone terribly wrong in either the forks or the front wheel.

Thats no good Jilli I hope you can get it sorted

SLIP - View user's profile Send private message  
SLIP [ Tue 26 Nov, 2019 07:31 ]

Doesn't sound good Jilli. Hope it's something relatively simple like wheel bearings. Good luck with it.

petebob - View user's profile Send private message  
petebob [ Tue 26 Nov, 2019 16:37 ]

JILLI96 wrote: [View Post]

Best of luck with it, keep us posted please

Kiwi - View user's profile Send private message  
Kiwi [ Tue 26 Nov, 2019 18:52 ]

Check the wear on the front tyre first, sometimes it could be worn on one side and give the same feeling,

Col - View user's profile Send private message  
Col [ Wed 27 Nov, 2019 06:31 ]

petebob wrote: [View Post]
Doesn't sound good Jilli. Hope it's something relatively simple like wheel bearings. Good luck with it.

Well, you're probably going to have a laugh because it was something even more simple than a wheel bearing

So, I went into Harley telling them how bad it is, unrideable. They send their van to pick her up and the guy is struggling to even move her, then he points to the rear tyre, I looked at it and asked what he meant, he said, "its flat" I couldnt even tell it was flat because its a low profile tyre and only when he pushed it was it obvious. I felt so stupid but he said he has brought many bikes back to the shop with flat tyres and at least you didnt break the bead on it (whatever that means) lmao!

Anyway, in my defence hahaha! its my first pre-owned Harley, Ive never had a punctured rear tyre and never imagined it would have such an impact on the steering. I said to the guy, because the front end was so badly affected I didnt even think of checking the rear end. I had checked the front tyre and looked at the back tyre. Ahh well. Its all fixed now, new tyre (Dunlop) and back on the road to an even smoother ride that I started with

Cheers everyone and Thanks again!!

JILLI96 [ Wed 27 Nov, 2019 07:00 ]

That's great news Jilli, at least it was something simple and easy to fix. I've ridden with under inflated tyres and flat tyres and they handle like a bag of shit. No wonder you were having steering issues. Now you are up and running, enjoy your rides.

pedro - View user's profile Send private message  
pedro [ Wed 27 Nov, 2019 08:34 ]

Back up and about...…..all good, give it heaps.....   

Kiwi - View user's profile Send private message  
Kiwi [ Wed 27 Nov, 2019 09:02 ]

Kiwi wrote: [View Post]
Back up and about...…..all good, give it heaps.....   

Thanks! yes back on the road to scrub up my new tyre

JILLI96 [ Thu 28 Nov, 2019 20:10 ]

I think you done very well to get it home with a flat Jilli, that
would have been a bit of a challenge at times for sure

Hats off to ya mate  beer2  beer2

Bluey - View user's profile Send private message  
Bluey [ Fri 29 Nov, 2019 15:53 ]