Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Page 1 of 1

Question Re: Ape Hangers
Reply with quote   Download Post  
Post Question Re: Ape Hangers 

Hi all, so sorry, wasn't sure where to post this question.
I have had my Breakout for about a year now and just starting to do a few more longer rides and weekenders
The stock bars are becoming uncomfortable for me, I find myself getting tired and my shoulders ache a bit after a few hours of riding.
I had T-Bars on my Softail Standard and I loved them so I thought the bars on the Breakout would be fine but I find them much harder for maneuvering the bike.
I was riding with some peeps that have Ape Hangers and they recommended them, so I am looking at a set of 12 inch gloss black 1.50 or 2" for my Breakout and just wanted to ask everyone for their opinions or other recommendations before I buy
Ss my bike in my signature with the stock bars.
Cheers Jilli

EDIT** Oh and do you know what the legal height is nowadays?

“Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by JILLI96 on Mon 12 Oct, 2020 20:25; edited 2 times in total 
JILLI96 - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Question Re: Ape Hangers 

Jilli, each state has it's own laws about handlebars.
Some states say that your hands must be no higher than your shoulders when sitting on your seat.
Some states have a maximum measurement for the top of the handlebar from the lowest part of your seat top (where ya butt bottoms out).

Here in Victoria the top of a handlebar cannot be higher than 380mm from the point of attachment of the handlebar.

AS an example, for Victoria - second last rules in section 9. Miscellaneous on page 3 - LINK --> https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/-/m...0the%20vehicle.

As for comfort, I used to absolutely love my apehangers, for general riding.  
BUT!!! long distance they were terrible, causing major shoulder, back, and tailbone pain.  

In the end I found westerns or wide pullbacks (often called Buckhorns) better , mounted up on 3" - 6" risers.
My favourite was early westerns (old Electraglide style) more comfortable up on pullback risers.

Hope that helps  

Here's a nice handlebar that would be comfortable up on your pullback risers: https://www.mcas.com.au/shop/item/scorpion-pre-77-1-handlebars

evolve_1395233592_650013
-~- member: 109 -~- HERE'S MY GALLERY

. road_king_banner
. . .
EX-OWNER OF: 1997 Road King Classic- True Duals, Nostalgia Windshield, Early ElectraGlide Western Bars, Custom Paint Job, 2012 Air in the Tyres

Last edited by -KEN- on Mon 12 Oct, 2020 21:46; edited 1 time in total 
-KEN- - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Jilli have a look at standard FatBoy bars on your risers. As they pull back about  80 or 100 mm further they yours. They are 1.5inch.  
I dont like look of 2inch  but thars me,  even 1nch longer risers with the Fatboy bars.

STEAMER - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Hi Jilli,  I have Mid Westerns with 4" straight risers on the Heriglide and they are excellent for long distance riding.  Having said that, I had 12" mini apes on 1" risers on the FLSTC and they were also excellent.  For me, that came just under shoulder height.  For a little lady like you, I would go with the Mid Westerns as riding with your hands above the shoulders will give you numbness and cramping in the forearms and hands.

EZI63 - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Jilli, there is a guy down the GC with black 2 inch roller bars look like
About 8 inch $595. Tried sharing but cant.
Its on one of the FB harley parts pages
Harley Davidson Buy / Sell / Swap Australia!

Last edited by STEAMER on Tue 13 Oct, 2020 11:40; edited 1 time in total 
STEAMER - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Thanks guys, very helpful information.
I didn't realise the 12 inch bars would be so high and I am looking for comfort on longer trips and easier handling.
I will have a look at the links posted, thanks heaps!
Do you think 10 inch Apes would be better? and I dont think the Breakout has risers so do you think I would need them as well?
Cheers and Thanks again.
Jilli

“Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Back to topPage bottom

Jilli, you already have risers on your breakout. I can see them in your photo.

Yours look like pullback risers which you may need.

As for what you may or may not need is entirely up to trying different combinations.  What we all like and feel comfortable with might feel like crap to you. You need to test different bars and risers to find what hits the sweet spot.

Ask your friends if any of them have spare bars or risers you could try.

evolve_1395233592_650013

. road_king_banner
. . .
EX-OWNER OF: 1997 Road King Classic- True Duals, Nostalgia Windshield, Early ElectraGlide Western Bars, Custom Paint Job, 2012 Air in the Tyres

Last edited by -KEN- on Tue 13 Oct, 2020 20:05; edited 1 time in total 
Back to topPage bottom

-KEN- wrote:  
Jilli, you already have risers on your breakout. I can see them in your photo.

Yours look like pullback risers which you may need.

As for what you may or may not need is entirely up to trying different combinations.  What we all like and feel comfortable with might feel like crap to you. You need to test different bars and risers to find what hits the sweet spot.

Ask your friends if any of them have spare bars or risers you could try.

Thank you! great advice. I wasn't sure whether I could go somewhere to try a few different bars so I thought I'd ask for some suggestions and the info is great, gives me some things to check out. I will also go and try a few different bars, maybe go and sit on some bikes for sale down at HD
Cheers

Back to topPage bottom

Hi Jilli..
A very subjective topic! I've had my bike 12 years. Started out with the stock 10" mini apes. Added 2" risers to that and found that to be perfect for me. However as I get older, the higher seems to be not quite so comfy any more. As it stands, my hands are pretty much bang on shoulder height, maybe slightly above. I'm 5'8" in me boots. Highway riding at 10k above the limit gets pretty tiring after a couple of hours, cos I'm just a flat surface trying to push through the air. Have got a mate with a 2014 breakout like yours, stock bars and risers. He's bout the same height as me, maybe 1/2 inch shorter. Sitting on the bike he looks like a half-shut pocket knife, but he can do it all day with no worries. I guess what I'm saying is it's just something u have to experiment with, which can be bloody costly. I personally think that if your back is straight, ie perpendicular to the road, the happier you will be. But that's just me! I had an M8 Lowrider as a loaner for a morning and after an hr or so my back was real sore from leaning forward due to the seating/bars position.
Maybe if u can sit on your bike upright, with feet on the pegs, let your hands go to where feels the most natural. Ignore where your bars actually are and get someone to take some measurments or something. I dunno. It's starting to get late! Lol. Good luck mate.

petebob - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

petebob wrote: [View Post]
Hi Jilli..
A very subjective topic! I've had my bike 12 years. Started out with the stock 10" mini apes. Added 2" risers to that and found that to be perfect for me. However as I get older, the higher seems to be not quite so comfy any more. As it stands, my hands are pretty much bang on shoulder height, maybe slightly above. I'm 5'8" in me boots. Highway riding at 10k above the limit gets pretty tiring after a couple of hours, cos I'm just a flat surface trying to push through the air. Have got a mate with a 2014 breakout like yours, stock bars and risers. He's bout the same height as me, maybe 1/2 inch shorter. Sitting on the bike he looks like a half-shut pocket knife, but he can do it all day with no worries. I guess what I'm saying is it's just something u have to experiment with, which can be bloody costly. I personally think that if your back is straight, ie perpendicular to the road, the happier you will be. But that's just me! I had an M8 Lowrider as a loaner for a morning and after an hr or so my back was real sore from leaning forward due to the seating/bars position.
Maybe if u can sit on your bike upright, with feet on the pegs, let your hands go to where feels the most natural. Ignore where your bars actually are and get someone to take some measurments or something. I dunno. It's starting to get late! Lol. Good luck mate.

Thanks great advice. I will have to do some experimentation

Back to topPage bottom

From memory Wackers used to have different bars set up in their showroom.Ring around i'm sure handle bar sellers would have to have samples to try.

ductor - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

ductor wrote: [View Post]
From memory Wackers used to have different bars set up in their showroom.Ring around i'm sure handle bar sellers would have to have samples to try.

Yeah, Harley Heaven in Melbourne had a similar setup. I don't know if they still have it.
It was a contraption with a bike seat and it had interchangeable handlebars. Fully adjustable riser mounting etc.

evolve_1395233592_650013

. road_king_banner
. . .

Back to topPage bottom

Apes are good....
Im running 14inch on my Fat....
But im 5/11...
I had 12s on a Earlier Softy and found them absolutely great....
Downside to Apes and sitting up you become a sail.....You catch all the wind in your Breast/chest.
Unless you have something to lay back on it gets tiring after a bit.
do not go above shoulder height....

Robo - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Robo wrote: [View Post]
Apes are good....
Im running 14inch on my Fat....
But im 5/11...
I had 12s on a Earlier Softy and found them absolutely great....
Downside to Apes and sitting up you become a sail.....You catch all the wind in your Breast/chest.
Unless you have something to lay back on it gets tiring after a bit.
do not go above shoulder height....

Cheers Thanks Robo, I am checking out some 10 inch ape's but I am also having a look at the Buckhorn bars someone mentioned. I really like them but I can only find them in 1 inch chrome, I would like the black gloss with at least 1-1/4 inch.
I will check out the local Harley and Gasoline Alley to see if they have the Bars set up with the seat to try a few different bars
Will l;et you know how it goes.
Cheers Jilli

Back to topPage bottom

Good stuff Jillie.....

Robo - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Permissions List