Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Page 1 of 1

Exhaust Testing
Reply with quote   Download Post  
Post Exhaust Testing 

There's been a lot of shit about exhaust testing these days and blokes getting defected. Personally I am sick of worrying every time I see a copper, wondering whether I'll get pulled over and tested / defected. The copper living next door doesn't help hahaha. I tend to stay away from the main bike routes for this reason because with the cams and radius pipes mine really was obnoxious.

So I decided fuck it, I'm over this shit, I'm pulling them off. I went with Wide Glide chrome covered headers and the new style Screamin Eagle mufflers (part number 80674-08A). What a difference. They are a lot quieter and a deeper note than my original Superglide Screamin Eagle muffers that I had on before the radius pipes.

I did a Db test after putting them on, 2,500rpm but only 3 metres away (the standard is 5 metres I think). Here is the result -

db_reading

81Db maximum, 77 peak, 76 average. 85Db is the limit in the standard. The newer SE mufflers have a lot more baffling than the older style. I haven't been up the road yet because it was pissing with rain. They are stamped 80Db so pretty close to my figures. Considering it has cams and Heavy  Breather it surprised me. It doesn't look as good as with the radius pipes but at least I can ride it now without worrying about all the hassle involved if I get defected. I'll be able to sneak quietly past them, which was impossible before.

Methuselah - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Exhaust Testing 

Sounds good and I do like the look of the more traditional pipes on bikes.

EZI63 - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Yeh all I’ve got on the fatbob is stock headers and cobra slip ons , they can test me all they want they get nothin from me, but the super glide well that’s another matter

Last edited by Ball bag on Tue 29 May, 2018 15:45; edited 1 time in total 
Ball bag - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Ball bag wrote: [View Post]
Yeh all I’ve got on the fatbob is stock headers and cobra slip ons , they can test me all they want they get nothin from me, but the super glide well that’s another matter

I thought the Super Glide is not running.....
What...You get it fixed

Robo - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Robo wrote: [View Post]
Ball bag wrote: [View Post]

I thought the Super Glide is not running.....
What...You get it fixed
hahahaha no it’s not but will be very soon, so I guess they won’t get me with that one either for the time being

Ball bag - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

When I {plus Chromer & Fuck-em-all} were defected ..

I just swapped over the rush slip ons to the original slip ons, got the defect lifted .. then swapped them straight back.

The Rush slip ons are stamped 93db.

Rxes - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

About to do a pipe change on the fatty as well, not because it's to loud, although
I have had a couple of warnings, I just want a new sound with a new look as I
think the radius pipes just don't look the part on a fatty, they look good on some
but I just think I now want the full length look.

I aint gunna buy new pipes as I got a few sets but I will be modifying a set of stock
mufflers to get the right sound I want.

Bluey - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

I'm planning to get hold of some fibreglass baffle wrapping to tone things down a tad ... the sound of the 2 into 1 V&H becomes an annoying drone to me after a short time, although on long rides i get over it pretty quick.
Problem is .. the baffle has come loose a few times, last time even spat it out, had to go back next day and look for it after it cooled .. putting it back in it wasnt fully in place but was secure so i lock tighted the retaining screw as it was, meaning it was a bit louder than usual .. now i dont know if i can loosen the retaining screw  

MotorHead - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

If you have an 05 up bike they will test you under ADR 83/00.
On ya swingarm there should be a sticker with that ADR and the racket in DB's it was signed off at, you are allowed that number + 5DB's.
It is tested at muffler height, 500mm away at 45° with engine held at 2505rpm then throttle shut off, a pop at this point would be bad!
So if your number is 96DB, as many are, plus 5 gives you 101DB, pipe not being original may fuck you over or it may not, depends.
A barrister on motorbike writer has drawn up a challenge to aftermarket systems being illegal and it looks good, hasnt seen court yet but it will, but if you blow the noise limit you are still stuffed, for now,

Hilly - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

So far I have been lucky, and not been tested cause if so, I'll be gone. I like the sound the Vance & Hine Big Radius makes although around town I try to behave myself. Often I have been asked why don't I ride it to work sometimes...…….I have a few times, but most of shifts start at midnight, it tends to wake the dead at midnight, so I don't push my luck.
I made myself a baffle to see if it would quieten it down, sounded like shit but was just a loud, and probably restricted the motor a little. That was a wasted exercise.
Dunno what I'll do if I get tested. I have the original pipes, I haven't actually heard what they sound like as I had the V&H fitted before picking the Fatty up.

I did toss up fitting a set of SE slipons when I bought the bike, to make it easy to swap over if I needed to, but never did...….maybe I should have??

bargara_1 avitar_titties
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand

2010 FATBOY, Vance & Hines 2 into 1 Big Radius, Screamin Eagle Super Tuner Pro, Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather, 2" Burleigh Roller Bars with a 10" Rise, Braided Cables, Combination Speedo & Tacho, Progressive RAP & with dreams of more to come

pedro - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Hilly wrote: [View Post]
If you have an 05 up bike they will test you under ADR 83/00.
On ya swingarm there should be a sticker with that ADR and the racket in DB's it was signed off at, you are allowed that number + 5DB's.
It is tested at muffler height, 500mm away at 45° with engine held at 2505rpm then throttle shut off, a pop at this point would be bad!
So if your number is 96DB, as many are, plus 5 gives you 101DB, pipe not being original may fuck you over or it may not, depends.
A barrister on motorbike writer has drawn up a challenge to aftermarket systems being illegal and it looks good, hasnt seen court yet but it will, but if you blow the noise limit you are still stuffed, for now,

Cheers for that Hilly ol mate..
I read that story about some Barrister fighting it....Good luck with that.
End of the day. If you blow over the 101DB as stated.....Your torn. Regardless.
Barristers....

Small story about them grubs.
My Daughter was involved in a traffic incident some years back...
Cop charged her with driving with Undue car and attention. Even though she was in the right. This fine leads you to court.
We seeked the assistance of a Barrister who said fight the case....Your innocent was his rant. That meeting cost her $600.
 And it hasnt even went to Court as yet. I spoke to a retired Cop I knew through Golf and he said. Go to Court. Plead Guilty. Pay $300
and loose 3 points. If you fight it. It could cost you Thousands. I responded the same to the Barrister and he said yeah. But your Daughter is innocent.
Sometimes its just as cheap to wear the fine and save some coin. I think this fighting a something where the law clealy states as Hilly said. over 101 is only oing to cost you money
and fatten the Barristers wallet......Just my take.

Back to topPage bottom

I don't think we will ever get past the noise side of it but if this barrister dude who happens to ride can prove the current laws and legislation do not prohibit the use of an aftermarket exhaust system that's a win for all of us that like to change stuff around, I'm hopeful anyway.
Sorry about the daughter shimozel Robo, justice is a rare thing these days.

Hilly - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

True that on the after market pipes...
I heard a 2018 fatty with a set of Freedom Side shots looking things fire up the other day...
Man....They sound very legal surprisingly..Not very loud at all...But under the current laws they are illegal im guessing.

Back to topPage bottom

I'm a bit late to chime in,I had the street cannons fitted to the Streetglide before I took delivery of the bike and immeadiatley hated the exhaust note....sounded similar to George Jetson's  auto..I said at the time I would give it 12 months to see what the cannons sounded like once the wrap around the baffle had burnt in..12 months later.it wasn't too bad on the open road, I could hear the exhaust and it wasn't obnoxious..the note around town wass..?.but I had a set of ness MF redline mufflers waiting to go on after warranty expired...In the meantime I had the torque cam fitted and when I picked the bike up it had a noticable  deeper note to it on the street cannons,riding home it sounded great,it sounded not to bad just cruising ,give the bike a bit more and it not hugely but did have a bit more bark...the ness aren't that loud either but do bark when you hit it...so even now I'm still standing saying on this hand I can,but on the other hand I can also...the cops will make my mind up...to old to standing on the side of the road answering stupid questions..

Silence is Golden....Duct tape is Silver

Last edited by pizz on Sat 30 Jun, 2018 19:09; edited 1 time in total 
pizz - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Permissions List