Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Page 1 of 1

Evos,
Reply with quote   Download Post  
Post Evos, 

hi,  only been a harley owner for the last year and a half , 1994 fatty, love it , what i have noticed in the last six months or so, is the price off a 1992- 1999 bike  have risen quite dramaticaly , whether  or not they sell is a different matter,  as you know some times you see a 1990s  bike with less than 15000 ks on it. are these bike going to be a problem with dried seals ,etc.  what would you be looking at if you were after a evo bike , and what price range.    thanks in advance .RICK

chonpuun - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Evos, 

I'd be concerned about the seals too ..
To have a bike of that age with so few K's; proposes the questions ..
Why hasn't it been ridden ??
Are the K's a true reading ?? [swapped speedo]
What do the internals look like ?? [tank, carby, primary case .. etc]

I'd be doing internal inspections of tank & primary {at least} before test riding {if it hasn't been ridden for several months}, then test ride {a good hour at least} then wait until cooled to see if leaks appear, then another TEST {hard} ride .. plus all the electric connections will need a looking at for corrosion build up.
As for price .. depends on to many variables; K's, age, condition, etc ..

Rxes - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

chonpuun wrote: [View Post]
what would you be looking at if you were after a evo bike , and what price range.    thanks in advance .RICK

Rick, I would get another '97, or a '98.

Reason? Because they were the best Harley engines ever made. By mid '96 they had addressed all the problems with the earlier Evo's (mainly oil leaks and a frame mod in the Tourers) and those mid '96 fixes came out as the '97 models with '97 engine numbers.
Then they didn't change anything for the last year ('98) as they didn't need to, plus it was the last year of Evo and the factory was spending all its time, effort, and money getting the Twin Cam ready for its '99 release (a step backwards).

Cost? As Rx says above: "depends on to many variables; K's, age, condition, etc"

Often an Evo Touring Model (Road King, Ultra etc) can be bought for thousands less than an FX or Softail model.

evolve_1395233592_650013
-~- member: 109 -~- HERE'S MY GALLERY

. road_king_banner
. . .
EX-OWNER OF: 1997 Road King Classic- True Duals, Nostalgia Windshield, Early ElectraGlide Western Bars, Custom Paint Job, 2012 Air in the Tyres

Last edited by -KEN- on Sun 21 Jan, 2018 20:26; edited 1 time in total 
-KEN- - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

As above, when I picked up my current 99 Evo, I ended up doing fork seals and outer primary gasket.  It only had 9700 klms so was in pretty good nick.  Nothing else has need looking at so far.
As far as Evo's go, I don't mind anything from 93 on.  Motors are pretty solid and bullet proof.

EZI63 - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Permissions List