Page 1 of 1

Forced Air Engine Cooling For Twin-cams
Would you consider buying these?

Yes
No

View Results
Reply with quote   Download Post  
Post Forced Air Engine Cooling For Twin-cams 

I've developed a way of mounting high powered fans to cool cylinder heads. A new twist on an old idea, but hopefully less expensive than other options.
I'd like to know what people think of this before going into production. Let me know what you reckon.

http://coolmyharley.com.au/

GregPendo - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Forced Air Engine Cooling For Twin-cams 

Do an intro of YOURSELF first .. manners go a long way on here  ..

Last edited by Rxes on Wed 17 Feb, 2016 13:22; edited 1 time in total 
Rxes - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

I hope the finished product is going to look a bit nicer than that. I would Not  bolt  that onto side of engine with all the flat Tin /plate showing. Maybe could use chrome or Black annodised Rod.
  I have a Lenale fan at the moment.

Plus, might pay you to Intro yourself first, before posting and advertising.

Last edited by STEAMER on Wed 17 Feb, 2016 13:24; edited 1 time in total 
STEAMER - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Sorry I hadn't introduced myself - I'm ignorant of forum protocols. But that's done now.

Yes, the final product does look much better. The mounting plate is cnc machined out of a very tough black plastic. The prototype on the website was hand cut from a chopping board and it does look a bit rough. Will update photo when I get the mounts back from the manufacturer (they stuffed up the first run and are re doing)

Back to topPage bottom

Not for me Gregpendo

All the best

RObw - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Sorry mate but I am not convinced that a couple of fans attached to the side
of your heads will do a great deal of cooling to the engine as a whole, no offence
intended but that's just my opinion. What you are doing is only replicating what
is already on the market and marketed by many companies at reasonable costs.

If you really want to make your motor run cooler start by removing all the chrome
covers attached to your engine, get rid of the chrome or gloss black oil tank and
then attach a good quality oil cooler to your bike.  

Chrome greatly hinders heat transfer from your engine to the atmosphere as does
gloss black paint and polished alloy, all these will actually prevent majority heat transfer
and more likely than not add to the heat problem that twin cams suffer from when
riding in slow conditions or extremely hot conditions.  

I know rough casting looks a bit untidy but it really is the best way of dissipating
heat from a hot engine that is not water cooled.

Last edited by Bluey on Wed 17 Feb, 2016 20:55; edited 1 time in total 
Bluey - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Hey Mate. welcome, but careful you'e not just here to sell your idea... or you'll be gone.

work with us and you're welcome, but we've been going a long while and we don't put up with bullshit well

ZAG     

ZAG - View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

The numbers would have to be right for me to consider a purchase ..

Rxes - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Thanks Bluey for your thoughts.
An oil cooler is essential I reckon on any bike ridden north of Melbourne. I have one fitted and often compare my oil temp with my mates after a ride, measured with infrared thermometer at the back of the oil filter. I rarely am much over 100 degrees while I've seen 140 on theirs.
I hadn't thought of removing chrome etc, but you are right, that would help. But do I want a bike that looks cool or runs cool?

Back to topPage bottom

ZAG - point taken

Back to topPage bottom

I've got a 2010 Road King ....it's cool no matter where it is !      

" Man who jibbers about how fast and far he goes most likely has tiny dick "

Davo - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Any cooling would be good for riding in the CBD and the shit traffic in the cities. I do a lot of K's in both city and rural. Living back in NE Vic now we have a bucket load of hot days 36-43C and absolutely no problem riding in that cos there's always airflow.
Where you get the problem is when there's no airflow so nothing going through the fins to cool it down at all. Traffic, idling in the lights ets. In the cooler months no problem at all, in the warmer months its essential to run an oil that won't break down in that sort of heat.
The HD engine will survive, the oil won't. If the oil doesn't then yes engine failure is inevitable.
Run a good oil that won't break down in that environment, and you're right.

I've never seen a Harley cook that bad riding through StKilda on a hot day that it caused an engine failure.

Like the others have said, plenty of these sorts of blowers on the market, I seriously considered getting one just to "feel" better doing laps of Fitzroy St looking for hookers  
Found I didn't need either LOL.

TheBigT - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

GregPendo wrote: [View Post]
Thanks Bluey for your thoughts.
An oil cooler is essential I reckon on any bike ridden north of Melbourne. I have one fitted and often compare my oil temp with my mates after a ride, measured with infrared thermometer at the back of the oil filter. I rarely am much over 100 degrees while I've seen 140 on theirs.
I hadn't thought of removing chrome etc, but you are right, that would help. But do I want a bike that looks cool or runs cool?

No worries mate, we all want our bikes to look good and chrome is always a great way
to improve presentation but unfortunately it is not good to add to air cooled motors and
as you know twin cams have an overheating problem even without the added chrome.

Maybe you could design a fan that distributes air flow over various parts of the motor more
so than concentrating it onto just one side of the heads, I would think that replicating
natural air flow to the motor would be a better idea especially when in slow traffic conditions,
and that would require either placing the fan at the front of the bike or a hidden fan delivering
air via a hidden plastic ducting system to both sides and the top of the top end.

All air cooled "V" twins with a rear cylinder sitting directly behind the front cylinder suffer
from a higher heat range than what the front cylinder runs at, and the problem with twin cams
is even the front cylinder runs to hot in slow riding conditions, so it is of no surprise they
introduced a heat management system that will allow the rear cylinder to shut down when an
overheating problem occurs.

Good luck with your venture Greg and a lot of people who ride in traffic will no doubt benefit from
a new design of air flow system that utilizes fans to cool the engine.

EDIT: Imagine how the buyers of some Square Four Ariels felt when their brand new bike seized
         after less than 5K miles from brand new only to be told their is nothing that can be done
         to fix the problem, they did sorta address it but it was always a problem on every model.

Bluey - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Zip ties??? It fixes on with zip ties?

Back to topPage bottom

Its bolted to the horn mount. Zip ties are just to hold wiring in place.

Back to topPage bottom

Thanks for the thought Bluey.

I was playing with a way to mount the front fan in the frame down tubes - fits ok but then very close to header pipe. There's room to mount the rear fan in a similar orientation on touring bikes, but not on others.

I'll keep on thinking though. Using a ducting system would allow even more powerful fans.

Does anyone have a drawing of what the 'natural' airflow is like? I can guess, but I wonder if Harley have some air tunnel tests around the engine area.

Back to topPage bottom

GregPendo wrote: [View Post]
Its bolted to the horn mount. Zip ties are just to hold wiring in place.

Oh good
Sounds like a lightweight bit of kit which will be good.

Back to topPage bottom

I would never have put up those beta pics because it makes everything look cheap and nasty.  As does the guy pushing his bike through the water.  
They are needless crap that make the site look tacky.  Show your best product, or don't show anything imo.

Flunk - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

pretty off topic sorta. As we all are aware the motors get hot! You have probably all seen the tank lifts you can buy. The transformation on my 103 RK was phenomenal. Heeps cooler. Being poor the cost seemed more than a pensioner could afford. So a bit of scrap RHS cut ground into 2 flats, i did say i am cheap, 2 holes 1.5 inches apart. Lifts the front of the tank 1.5 in! ialso lifted the back of the tank 3/8 in with some rubber. So you can see the top of the rocker covers, much better cooler running. i only went 1.5 on my RK because i had to invert the mirrors so i could see and didnt want the mirrors hitting the tank. i could have gone to 3 in as there was enough swing clearance. fairinged bikes might have issues. I dont have a fuel cross over fuel pipe some older models do, just buy a length. Not sure about the look get a small block and push under front of tank, just remove the 2 bolts.

askari - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Permissions List