Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Page 1 of 1

2014 FLHRC Road King Classic
Reply with quote   Download Post  
Post 2014 FLHRC Road King Classic 

Has anyone had a ride on the new model RK?  I've read a heap of reports, but they are generally reports that include all the 2014 'Rushmore' touring models, and the RK doesn't get much more than a few lines. If anyone has ridden one would you give us an impression.  I'm waiting to get a ride on one, but there's a wait for them up here in Cairns. Hopefully in the next few weeks.  But I'm impatient & would like to hear others opinions. Mainly in relation to the cornering clearance.

I've ridden the Street Glide, great cornering clearance, scoots along really well, I like the lockable panniers with the one touch lever & the sound system was fairly good.  Wasn't much impressed on the turbulence once over about 90kmh.  Maybe a slightly taller screen would fix that but I thought the new fairing was supposed to have helped. In my opinion, it doesn't. (Well not for a short fat bloke anyway!)

(Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I couldn't see anything. (Maybe a little boys look as my Mrs. would say!)  

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.

Pano - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: 2014 FLHRC Road King Classic 

On previous models the Road King had taller rear shocks (13" vs 12") so cornering should be better than that of a Street Glide.

I did see a chart somewhere that of the stock bikes, the Road King had the most ground clearance and cornering clearance.

Deadwood - View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website 
Back to topPage bottom

Turbulence around the head area, is wind coming up from Any bike with a fairing. You can buy wind deflectors that attach to each side of forks near indicators, Plus there is another one that can fit near bottom Tripple clamp and motor. Should get rid of ALL of the turbulence, so I have read.
   FatKingMick on the NSW forum site has a Road King Classic ( Lockable Hard Panniers). He is a big boy and He & His Wife Love it.

STEAMER - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

I got 12s on me CVO king and have came nowheres near scrapping the bitch as yet..Guess I might be use to riding the Softail with the .........%$@#   cornering abilities..

Robo - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

I've touched mine down a few times ..... Usually after lunch .

Generally she handles well for a Big Pig .  

" Man who jibbers about how fast and far he goes most likely has tiny dick "

Davo - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Hi Pano, there are not many models can blow my FLHXSE away when cornering etc.....I fuckin love the 110, as the harder you push it the harder she sings and sticks...

I flew through the Flagstaff hills in the US, in the snow, at 80mph (130k's) and it was as if she was on rails mate...at the time I had the standard tall screen and in the rain,
I was blind...yeah, got a bit of a scare mate...

At that speed it was frightening, so I purchased an 8" windvest type screen and the prob was solved totally....

I'm 6ft and do not have a buffeting prob whatsoever and the rain is blown over the old noggin (apart from the gallons that keep the faceplate clean when heavy), mate she works a treat...

The Kings are great bikes, but my fairings are awesome and on long trips, the radio is priceless, I corner hard at times and have not scraped as yet, unlike the old Heritage where I just about wore out the footboards...1/8" left on the buggars, the bloke that bought it laughed when I told him I am a sedate bloke...wondered why at the time...love it...

Jacks - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Pano, the turbulants are common.

To get rid of them just add lower deflectors or make your own similar to the ones I made. They work.
I don't get any turbulants at any speed now with them fitted.

See here: http://hdoz.org.au/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4925

evolve_1395233592_650013
-~- member: 109 -~- HERE'S MY GALLERY

. road_king_banner
. . .
EX-OWNER OF: 1997 Road King Classic- True Duals, Nostalgia Windshield, Early ElectraGlide Western Bars, Custom Paint Job, 2012 Air in the Tyres

-KEN- - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Well let me tell you a thing or two,
 Picked up my '14 R K classic on the 10th May , the first things you notice is it's stationary weight, almost feels top heavy getting her of the jiffy stand, hand controls seem more forgiving (have found the horn and hi beam easier than my softy,) the Handle bars are more mini apes than the high westerns, Srarted smooth and quiet no bang out of the starter that sounds expensive. My bike was rented by the Frog Hogs and the clutch was out of adjustment but she took off very smooth.Seat and seating position , very comfy(bit high coming from my lowered Softy) Floorboards much flatter than I expected but it gave you the opportunity to tuck your knees in.
 Rode through the city in the late Saturday traffic , the brakes are so much more effective than the Softy's single disc, rear are linked to the left front, so the rear brake alone felt like having an air swing with your fronts but just as effective, when you let your fingers do the stopping there's no doubt about what you're doing.
     Rode through to the South East Freeway, First real lean at the on ramp, good , dropped the right elbow and Ka Boom. Power was just there no wind up just smoothly delivered and this is a stock motor Gear changes seemed smoother , the ratios must be different  because the speeds I used to select the gears didn't match. 6th gear is definately more usable , select at 90 and power away nicely ,

Took the bike away for a boys weekend and I love it.

Things to get used to:
The height
Fly by wire throttle
Shit hot brakes
The weight
and those fucking passenger floor boards

ductor - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

ductor wrote:  
Well let me tell you a thing or two,
 Picked up my '14 R K classic on the 10th May , the first things you notice is it's stationary weight, almost feels top heavy getting her of the jiffy stand, hand controls seem more forgiving (have found the horn and hi beam easier than my softy,) the Handle bars are more mini apes than the high westerns, Srarted smooth and quiet no bang out of the starter that sounds expensive. My bike was rented by the Frog Hogs and the clutch was out of adjustment but she took off very smooth.Seat and seating position , very comfy(bit high coming from my lowered Softy) Floorboards much flatter than I expected but it gave you the opportunity to tuck your knees in.
 Rode through the city in the late Saturday traffic , the brakes are so much more effective than the Softy's single disc, rear are linked to the left front, so the rear brake alone felt like having an air swing with your fronts but just as effective, when you let your fingers do the stopping there's no doubt about what you're doing.
     Rode through to the South East Freeway, First real lean at the on ramp, good , dropped the right elbow and Ka Boom. Power was just there no wind up just smoothly delivered and this is a stock motor Gear changes seemed smoother , the ratios must be different  because the speeds I used to select the gears didn't match. 6th gear is definately more usable , select at 90 and power away nicely ,

Took the bike away for a boys weekend and I love it.

Things to get used to:
The height
Fly by wire throttle
Shit hot brakes
The weight
and those fucking passenger floor boards

Bloody good review Ductor

Robo wrote:  
I got 12s on me CVO king and have came nowheres near scrapping the bitch as yet..Guess I might be use to riding the Softail with the .........%$@#   cornering abilities..

truth always prevails

Jacks wrote:  
Hi Pano, there are not many models can blow my FLHXSE away when cornering etc.....I fuckin love the 110, as the harder you push it the harder she sings and sticks...

I flew through the Flagstaff hills in the US, in the snow, at 80mph (130k's) and it was as if she was on rails mate...at the time I had the standard tall screen and in the rain,
I was blind...yeah, got a bit of a scare mate...

At that speed it was frightening, so I purchased an 8" windvest type screen and the prob was solved totally....

I'm 6ft and do not have a buffeting prob whatsoever and the rain is blown over the old noggin (apart from the gallons that keep the faceplate clean when heavy), mate she works a treat...

The Kings are great bikes, but my fairings are awesome and on long trips, the radio is priceless, I corner hard at times and have not scraped as yet, unlike the old Heritage where I just about wore out the footboards...1/8" left on the buggars, the bloke that bought it laughed when I told him I am a sedate bloke...wondered why at the time...love it...

Yeah mate, ive seen your sedate riding

Back to topPage bottom

I  was reading the other day about the linked brakes HD now use on the larger bikes. It said they are set up to work at 50km/h or above.  If they work anything like my BMW did. Then they are magic. On the BM you only touched the back brake pedal to use the Back brake Only.  But if you used the front brake lever, then it used both front & back.

But good review you have given doctor.
cheers

STEAMER - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

In the end, I've gone for an Ultra Classic......  was only $2000 more than the Road King. The Mrs said spend the extra on the nice comfy rear seat.... who am I to argue!

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.

Pano - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Well here's a bit of an update, Before the trip to Cairns I lost the front  end momentarily going into a roundabout , got her back up with more arse than class also lost the front on the grass going very slow. They were my only complaints about the bike's performance. Took her in to wackers today for the 16k service and a tuner and the brake recall.
        They looked after me with a loan bike, a 2014 fatbob with 500klms on it, geez they are nice, Well apparently my FLHRC is one of three that Wackers has had with the crimped brake line, the item that causes the front brake lockup. so now I have to wait and see if H D can find one in Australia. I wonder if I'd have done any damage in those two lock ups would H D have come to the party or would it have been up to my insurance.

Back to topPage bottom

On a recall Item Duc man you would have to thing that HD is admitting fault...
I would guess they would have to pay....
Ima guessing that your Insurance would attack them for the compensation.....
Me thoughts.
Good to see ya loving it man....

Robo - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Had a HD tuner and H/F air filter fitted last service, rode down to the Marina today, Awesome.

Back to topPage bottom

Permissions List