Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Page 1 of 1

Hard To Start
Reply with quote   Download Post  
Post Hard To Start 

Since the accident, from when I picked up My Bike from Toowoomba, Darling Downs Harley-Davidson ..
My Bike has been hard to start once hot [cold, she fires up first kick & idles as should] ..
to start up again after stopping to fill up is the when it's the worst, she tries to fire first up, sort of, but like a snuffed out backfire, she kicks back with a bloody horrible body cringing metal clunk sound ..
Talked to a couple of mechanics about the problem [& showed them}.. they want to examine her for the $$$ .. but say it sounds like the fuel is evaporating before ignition .. it's the injectors that are stuffed .. the timing is out .. ya need to replace the crankshaft sensor ..

Yesterday .. riding home from dropping Wifey off .. I wondered if the plugs could have something to do with it ..
Home & once cooled, I pulled the pugs out .. the gap was 0.05    
I DID set the plug before installing .. did the mechanic at Darling Downs Harley-Davidson fuck with them to make me bring her back ?? I'll never know .. but I DO KNOW I set the plug gap to 1 [mid way of recommendation range] ..
Cleaned & re-set to 1.09 [max recommendation] ..

Testing today .. & will report back if that was the solution .. or not.

Rxes - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Hard To Start 

Rx, waz it doing it before you changed fuel filter?
If not, maybe the fuel pick up line has slipped off or something

STEAMER - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Yep .. was doing before change of filter ..

Back to topPage bottom

Years ago i had a car with fuel pump inside tank, done similar and was the fuel pick up line. It looked ok, but under presure sucking fuel a tiny hole was opening, Not letting right fuel / presure to be sucked up to go to engine. Maybe replace fuel line/s inside tank

Back to topPage bottom

Yes Steamer .. thanks ..
Col had that very same problem .. but it only showed itself when he opened it up, not starting {but his baby IS a rocket & she inhales the fuel} .. his mechanic replaced filter & pump thinking it wasn't providing enough fuel .. but failed to find it the hole in the line .. Col found it after the mechanic gave up.

Opening the gap has improved the problem .. doesn't do the snuffed out backfire anymore .. but still takes several winds to fire ..

The heat seems to be an issue with it .. fires first kick when cold & responds as should, when throttle is twisted .. hot or cold..

But as you said .. could be a pinhole, so next step; I'll look at replacing the line from tank cock to pick up .. it is recommended to do so when changing the fuel filter as well .. read that after doing the fuel filter job  

To be continued ....

Last edited by Rxes on Sun 23 Dec, 2018 12:02; edited 1 time in total 
Back to topPage bottom

I'll keep an eye out for the outcome

Back to topPage bottom

We got az up date on this Rxes man......

Robo - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Adjusting the 'GAP SIZE' was the solution to the snuffed out backfire problem ..

The heat, after a full tank run & on the hotter days, still affects My Bike's starting .. takes several winds before she fires up .. but NO horrid backfire bang'n

Cold .. first kick every time still  

Back to topPage bottom

Permissions List