Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Page 1 of 1

Introducing Myself
Reply with quote   Download Post  
Post Introducing Myself 

I purchased a 2001 FLHRCi about 12 years ago. I started riding bikes at 16 and if I had my Ariel 500 twin now, it would be worth far more than the twenty quid I paid for it then (plus 10 shillings for a taxi truck to take it to my house). My mate in those days had a few motorbikes that we shared.. a BSA Bantam, AJS 500 single, Royal Enfield, R69S BMW and eventually, a Bonneville. We loved those monsters. In 1970, I decided to start again and rebuilt a barn find Yamaha 301cc. Sold it and had a brain fade, so purchased a Honda 450 DOHC. Worst motorbike in the history of two wheels in my opinion. It wasn't until a friend bought a new Fatboy in 2000 that the urge was rekindled and shortly thereafter, not having kept up my original one pound licence, I had to start again on a Kawasaki 250. My son asked me if I intended to start a mowing round (smart arse kids). He races a Triumph Triple and is doing reasonably well for an old man!! (I hope he gets to read this tribute). Now looking to buy a club bike due to time constraints. Sold the big fella because it wasn't doing the K's it should have travelled. Now I intend to buy an EVO. I know it's not a real Harley (built when owned by AMF), but more reliable than a Shovel, so I am told. Still married after all these years (ode to Paul Simon). Live in Melbourne, love a drink, gave up smoking and feel a hell of a lot better for it and I'm spending ime writing a novel and biography surrounding my miss spent youth. Hope this is enough for now.

Last edited by rsteph on Thu 06 Apr, 2017 17:56; edited 1 time in total 
rsteph - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Introducing Myself 

Great intro Rod, and an interesting short story to boot.
Gidday and welcome, join in and enjoy  

MotorHead - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Hi and welcome to the No1 Harley forum  in Australia  

Last edited by Bluey on Fri 07 Apr, 2017 12:40; edited 2 times in total 
Bluey - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Welcome mate
bloody good intro

4 out of 3 people struggle with math....

Kiwi - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Welcome Rod to the forum..

Ball bag - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Welcome on board ol mate...

Robo - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

G'day rsteph .. bloody fantastic intro {it was worth waiting for} .. good luck with your EVO finding & rebuild ..

As for your son reading your tribute to him .. invite him to join the forum too {then he can }
[although this is a Harley Forum .. we do have a few Trumpy riders as members]

& Rod ..
Welcome & ride safe.

Rxes - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

G'day Rod, welcome mate  

rsteph wrote:  
. . .  Now I intend to buy an EVO. I know it's not a real Harley (built when owned by AMF), but more reliable than a Shovel, so I am told.

Just so you know that it's OK to buy an Evo, they weren't designed or built during the AMF years.
The AMF years were Shovel years. AMF owned Harley (and buggered it) from 1969 until 1981.
Evo's were first announced in 1983 and came out in 1984. Evo's were made until 2000.

As far as 'Evo's not being 'real' Harley's, Evo's are regarded as the best motors the Company ever produced.
WAAAYYYYY more reliable than a Shovel. The Evo also doesn't have the troubles of Harley's next model, the TwinCam (Timing Chain and Tensioner problems, Pressed Flywheels, and overheating).

Anyway, welcome here  

evolve_1395233592_650013
-~- member: 109 -~- HERE'S MY GALLERY

. road_king_banner
. . .
EX-OWNER OF: 1997 Road King Classic- True Duals, Nostalgia Windshield, Early ElectraGlide Western Bars, Custom Paint Job, 2012 Air in the Tyres

-KEN- - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Welcome aboard Rod, an interesting read. Good luck with the EVO mate, I hope you find a good one and it'll give you plenty to keep you occupied.

Methuselah - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Welcome old fella lol . im  keeping my Evo for my old age .    

charky89 - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

welcome mate, great read.... I own a shovel..and fucking thing was fucked today when i tried to start it.... was a 1200cc oil pump..oil had drained into the crank and spewed everywhere ..oh well part of the fun I guess

ZAG - View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Welcome Rod, a good intro mate..my first was an old BSA sidevalve with advance/retard and a valve lifter that used ta "kick like a mule", many years ago...(still love them all)

Jacks - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

-KEN- wrote:  
G'day Rod, welcome mate  

rsteph wrote:  
. . .  Now I intend to buy an EVO. I know it's not a real Harley (built when owned by AMF), but more reliable than a Shovel, so I am told.

Just so you know that it's OK to buy an Evo, they weren't designed or built during the AMF years.
The AMF years were Shovel years. AMF owned Harley (and buggered it) from 1969 until 1981.
Evo's were first announced in 1983 and came out in 1984. Evo's were made until 2000.

As far as 'Evo's not being 'real' Harley's, Evo's are regarded as the best motors the Company ever produced.
WAAAYYYYY more reliable than a Shovel. The Evo also doesn't have the troubles of Harley's next model, the TwinCam (Timing Chain and Tensioner problems, Pressed Flywheels, and overheating).

Anyway, welcome here  

Back to topPage bottom

Jacks wrote:  
Welcome Rod, a good intro mate..my first was an old BSA sidevalve with advance/retard and a valve lifter that used ta "kick like a mule", many years ago...(still love them all)

Back to topPage bottom

Welcome to the Forum M8,

Plus 1 on the EVO history lesson above, The EVO powered Harleys were introduced after the buy back from AMF, and saved the Motor Company from extinction.

Apart from bottom cases cracking after over boring, and weaping base gaskets, the EVO motor is one of the best ever built.

Regards Lofty

LOFTYBOB - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Permissions List