Home    Forum    Search    FAQ    Register    Log in

Page 1 of 1

Howdy
Reply with quote   Download Post  
Post Howdy 

Hey all,
just joined the forum.  Just got back into riding after a 25 year break.  Started off with some Triumphs - '55 speed twin, '59 TR5 Chopper, '57 Thunderbird, then I bought my first harley back in 1987 - a Sportster until I could save up for a bigger bike!  Got a '83 FLH after that, then joined the Navy, got married and stopped riding.   Last year, I thought I'd get back into it and bought a really nice '77 Shovel.  Was a bit wobbly going round corners and hanging U turns till I got my nerve back!  Sold it, bought a '95 Evo softail which was like heaven to ride compared to the shovel!    Anyhow, my mate really wanted the Heritage, so sold it to him and bought a '96 Evo Road King.  Man can't have too many bikes, so I've also just bought an 03 Anniversary Road King.   Don't have enough coin to keep both of them, but will until i work out which one to keep!  I really like them both and although i prefer to ride the Twinkie - i'm kind of leaning towards the Evo.
So, enough rambling on - I'm just glad to be back riding again - probably still going to be a while getting all my confidence back again!

hepkat63 - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: Howdy 

G'day Hepcat, welcome!  

Great intro.

Mate, seriously, I'd suggest keeping the Evo. Especially the 1996 to 1998 models. A far better motor than the troublesome overheating Twinky.
Earlier Evo models had a few annoying problems with Engine and frame design, but all fixed in 96.

Keep in mind genuine HD Evo engine parts are starting to get hard to find in Australia.
USA seems to have plenty.

evolve_1395233592_650013
-~- member: 109 -~- HERE'S MY GALLERY

. road_king_banner
. . .
EX-OWNER OF: 1997 Road King Classic- True Duals, Nostalgia Windshield, Early ElectraGlide Western Bars, Custom Paint Job, 2012 Air in the Tyres

Last edited by -KEN- on Sun 29 Dec, 2019 01:35; edited 2 times in total 
-KEN- - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

thanks mate for the advice.  Yes, you're not the first one I've heard that from.  I'm wondering, are you able to give me an idea of expected mileage from both?   Should I be posting this in another area of the forum??  Like I said in the intro, I'm a long time out of the game and doing a lot of catching up.  so, the evo has about 50k on it and the twinkie 77k.   Neither bike came with any documented service history at all - both owners did  their own.  Like car motors though - certain things need to be done.  Yes, i've checked out the service manuals and can handle all of those pretty well.  Never done head bearings, but willing to give them a go.  Motor wise though, how many KMs should you expect out of each the Evo and the Twin Cam before you need to start doing things?  I would prefer to do preventative than retrospective maintenance were possible.  
Thanks!

hepkat63 - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Hi and welcome to the No 1 Harley forum in Australia  

Great intro bloke, post away we all read it  

I think I can help ya choose.  

Majority of motors that have had regular services done correctly with half decent
oil changes with new filter , I do mine mine every 5k roughly, will give decent mileage.

What you call decent mileage may vary from what others think but most people who
have been around and riding Harleys for a long time know what mileage to expect
from the particular model they have purchased.

Soooooooooooo here we go, and this is only my opinion

03 Anniversary Road King with 77k on the clock, any time now and I rarely hear of
these giving decent mileage, won't bother posting the problems these motors have
due to their being to many of them.

96 Evo Road King, they had their problems as well but not in the motor itself and at
50K most would say that's still a new motor, mate evo pushrod motors are without
a doubt the most reliable motor Harley has ever produced and 200 plus klms seem
to be average mileage given from a well treated motor with regular servicing.

Last edited by Bluey on Sun 29 Dec, 2019 19:25; edited 2 times in total 
Bluey - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Welcome hepkat enjoy the forum and all your toys  

Ball bag - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Welcome to the madhouse

4 out of 3 people struggle with math....

Kiwi - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Yep, Bluey is correct. Evo's treated well (regular oil, plugs etc) will throb along for hundreds of thousands. My last Evo (97 Road King) has just over 104,000k's on it and runs like a swiss clock.

About the only engine drama I had was the common oil leak in the nose cone. I made a video to show how to fix it in a few minutes.
Evo's are pretty easy to work on at home.

My quick cam oil leak repair Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkaRUbRLXNY&t=

evolve_1395233592_650013

. road_king_banner
. . .
EX-OWNER OF: 1997 Road King Classic- True Duals, Nostalgia Windshield, Early ElectraGlide Western Bars, Custom Paint Job, 2012 Air in the Tyres

Last edited by -KEN- on Sun 29 Dec, 2019 19:46; edited 1 time in total 
Back to topPage bottom

-KEN- wrote: [View Post]
Yep, Bluey is correct. Evo's treated well (regular oil, plugs etc) will throb along for hundreds of thousands. My last Evo (97 Road King) has just over 104,000k's on it and runs like a swiss clock.

About the only engine drama I had was the common oil leak in the nose cone. I made a video to show how to fix it in a few minutes.

Brakes Brakes brakes

4 out of 3 people struggle with math....

Kiwi - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Kiwi wrote: [View Post]

Brakes Brakes brakes

LOL!!! Yes. I had front brakes problems for a long time. In the end it happened to be that the wrong brake lever was fitted by the previous owner.

The lever he put on was about 1mm further out on the tab inside the master cylinder housing, causing the lever to slightly remain pushing on the brake causing it to constantly apply the brakes very lightly. So light that you couldn't feel the drag but the brake rotor would keep overheating especially on longer trips, warping them.

After changing the Master Cylinder, brake fluids several times, new rotors twice, and new hoses, it was as simple as fitting the correct lever.     
It took over a year to find out it was only the lever.  

Oh, and I broke a final drive belt once  

evolve_1395233592_650013

. road_king_banner
. . .

Last edited by -KEN- on Mon 30 Dec, 2019 02:00; edited 1 time in total 
Back to topPage bottom

Kiwi wrote: [View Post]

Brakes Brakes brakes

LOL!!! Yes. I had front brakes problems for a long time. In the end it happened to be that the wrong brake lever was fitted by the previous owner.

The lever he put on was about 1mm further out on the tab inside the master cylinder housing, causing the lever to slightly remain pushing on the brake causing it to constantly apply the brakes very lightly. So light that you couldn't feel the drag but the brake rotor would keep overheating especially on longer trips, warping them.

After changing the Master Cylinder, brake fluids several times, new rotors twice, and new hoses, it was as simple as fitting the correct lever.     
It took over a year to find out it was only the lever.  

Oh, and I broke a final drive belt once  

Another problem with brakes Ken is aftermarket master cylinder kits, get ya micrometer
out and start comparing those kits with your standard internal parts and watch ya draw
drop. I learned quick that the standard HD product is the best option me thinks.

Bluey - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Welcome aboard ol mate.....

Robo - View user's profileSend private messageView user's personal gallery 
Back to topPage bottom

Welcome to the forum Hepcat. This forum is the place to ask questions. That's what it is all about, having a chat with members getting feedback, ideas and general tips from the many experienced people. What you get is mateship, with good honest opinions.
Enjoy and share your thoughts as well.

bargara_1 avitar_titties
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand

2010 FATBOY, Vance & Hines 2 into 1 Big Radius, Screamin Eagle Super Tuner Pro, Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather, 2" Burleigh Roller Bars with a 10" Rise, Braided Cables, Combination Speedo & Tacho, Progressive RAP & with dreams of more to come

pedro - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Welcome Mate
25 Years is a fair stretch between bikes
Hope you kept the Shovel long enough to brush up on your mechanical skills

Bruce - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Welcome, good to see another bloke with exceptionally good taste.  Personally, I love Evo's, have had a few over the years so that would be my choice to keep.  Secret to them is keep fresh fluids in them and preventative maintenance.  Currently got two of them, but the all time favourite which I stupidly sold was a 94 Heritage.  She had 186,000 klms when I sold her and I still see her getting around occassionally.  Brakes are basically non existent so if you can afford to, get a decent set of calipers for your bike. Suspension is another area which can be tweaked.  Cheers and stay safe.

EZI63 - View user's profileSend private message 
Back to topPage bottom

Permissions List